Beginning a Career in Public Relations

Monday, July 18, 2005

Networking in the "Big D" - Dallas was home to 5th annual eWomenNetwork International Conference

Hello and I apologize for my silence this past week. I am just back from Dallas having attended the 5th Annual eWomenNetwork International Conference and Business Expo. I was honored to be among nineteen young women who were selected as recipients of the Inagural International Femtor(TM) Emerging Leader Award. This award recognizes women in their twenties who are in the process of launching their careers, yet despite their youth, have developed a track record of leadership, accomplishment and service to others. I especially would like to thank Terri Craig, managing director of the Houston eWomenNetwork chapter, as well as all the members who made my trip to Dallas and the Femtor(TM) scholarship possible. I also would like to thank Sandra Yancey, woman extraordinaire and founder of eWomenNetwork for her dedication and commitment to creating a network that is "other-focused" and creates a world of abundance for everyone, both women and men.

Since the public relations profession relies on networking, I found the conference and the speakers to be valuable assets in helping me continue down the path in my public relations career. I also learned to appreciate all the mentors and femtors in my life who have helped me learn about the profession who have helped me learn about public relations and where I fit in.

All the speakers at the conference reiterated the message of not giving up and working toward your goals and dreams, no matter how far away they may seem. I think for many of us just starting out in our careers, even if not in public relations, that reassurance is helpful in hearing the stories of accomplished men and women. Nely Galan, CEO of GALAN Entertainment, Fox Network Creator and Executive Producer of THE SWAN, delivered Thursday night's keynote address. Nely's story is so inspiring in the fact that she didn't let obstacles slow her down. Nely's career spans from launching television channels such as ESPN in Latin America to serving as president of Telemundo.

At age 22, Galán became the youngest television station manager in the United States.

Please check back in the days ahead for more "lessons learned" from this wonderful event and be sure to post your comments about your networking tips and even recognize your mentors and femtors here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home