Beginning a Career in Public Relations

Thursday, June 23, 2005

PRSA Houston University Relations Committee Supports Efforts to Bring PR Club to Texas Southern University

Joining the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) while I was completing my degree at the University of Houston was one of the best investments I made as a student. I became active in the organization first as the PR Director and then later served a year as president. In addition to learning valuable leadership skills and understanding the dynamics of team work, I was able to network with professionals already in the field while I was still a student. Our leadership team attended PRSA Houston Board meetings and luncheons, as well as hosted a Regional Activity through PRSSA where we invited speakers from the industry to address attendees.

I'm telling you all this because I am working through PRSA Houston's University Relations Committee to help bring a PRSSA Chapter to Texas Southern University (TSU). While the TSU department of communications works to implement the three courses that are not in the curriculum to make the chapter official, PRSA Houston is working with TSU students to begin a PR Club on campus so students can begin to learn about the profession, as well as developing leadership skills.

PRSA Houston is modeling the efforts of PRSA Southern Arizona, whose efforts to establish a PR Club at the University of Arizona have been quite successful. I'll highlight those efforts in an upcoming post.

Please post your comments and ideas for TSU here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home