Beginning a Career in Public Relations

Sunday, April 27, 2008

University of Houston PRSSA Chapter Spring Banquet

I visited the campus of the University of Houston yesterday evening to attend the UH PRSSA Chapter's Spring Banquet. I have a special place in my heart for this chapter, as I served as President in 2001-02. I am proud of this year's officers and the amount of effort they have put into making the chapter a success. The challenges of running a chapter on a largely commuter-based campus are still there, but from what I saw last night, the officers and members have embraced this and are making it work for their membership. (That's me in the middle with Katie Moyer on the left and Katie Winslow on the right -- both are amazing PR students!)

The enthusiasm in the room was very encouraging, and the excitement of graduating and looking for a job reminded me of what I felt like six years ago when I was in those very same shoes - both nervous and excited at the same time.

Priscilla Tinsley, president of PRSA Houston, was the guest speaker and did an awesome job providing tips for students who will soon be entering the "real" world - primarily to remember that finding the perfect job does not always happen right away, but by being true to yourself, you will find the perfect fit (even if it takes a few jobs to find out where you belong).

Julie Fix, APR, was recognized for the support she provides to the chapter on an ongoing basis. Julie is also on the board of PRSA Houston, in addition to owning her own public relations company and serving as a professor in the School of Communication at UH. Also there was Catherine Burch Graham, APR, of Houston-Based LifeGift and also a member of the Board of Directors of PRSA Houston.

I wish all the graduates great success in their job searches and am sure that the new PRSSA officers will continue to do an incredible job!

2 Comments:

  • We are so happy that you were able to attend! Thank you for the kind words.

    By Blogger katie_winslow, At 12:43 PM  

  • Thank you so much for your support and for attending the banquet last night. I enjoyed talking with you. It means a lot to me being the outgoing president of the PRSSA UH chapter this year, that you are proud of what we have done.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home