Beginning a Career in Public Relations

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Almost December...

Staying in this saddle is harder than I thought...it seems like only yesterday that I unlocked my blogger account and here I am with only two posts since then. As the holidays near, I think of things that I am thankful to have in my life, and my degree in public relations is definitely among the top three (after family and my health). In my current position, our department receives calls and emails from employees, network groups and others asking for the direction of the communications team on all kinds of projects. From the United Way campaign to employee promotions of all types, there is a demand for the expertise of communications professionals. I have watched a true team of professionals at work -- from research to planning to implementation to evaluation -- it's all there! To me, it seems that PR professionals are finally being viewed as true strategists. Yes, there are some tactics thrown in there that we all have to do, but I truly have seen a shift in the way the profession is viewed since I graduated five short years ago.

Writing remains at the heart of the profession. If you can't spell out your plans in a clear language and receive buy-in and approval, you won't get very far. I am building on this concept for a presentation I am sharing with students at Texas Southern University on December 6 as part of the Tavis Smiley School of Communications Open House. While I've only been out of school a short while, I am always eager to share what I have learned with those who are eager to begin a career in communications.

I also hope to see everyone at the PRSA Holiday party on December 11 at Two Hyde Park.

1 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home